NEWARK, Ohio, March 7, 2016 – Central Ohio Technical College (COTC) is proud to announce the winner of the first-ever Part-Time Faculty Teaching Excellence Award. The award was given to Connie Roberts. Roberts teaches biology classes on the Coshocton campus.
"I ran into Connie in the hallway at Montgomery Hall before we announced her win," said Director of Part-Time Faculty Robi Rhodes. "She had no idea why I was there, and she invited me into the science lab before her class. I was able to talk with her about the models and learning tools used in BIO-010. I also got a little brush up on my cell biology and tissues. In short, I got a little dose of the great instruction that she provides for our students every day, and it would be clear to anyone who worked with her why she won this award."
The award was presented to Roberts in February by Rhodes, Vice President for Extended Campuses and The Gateway Teri Holder and Vice President of Academic Affairs Dr. Lauri White. The announcement was made in front of her class, and Roberts was given a framed certificate and flowers. The award also comes with a monetary prize of $250.
Students of all the finalists for the award were surveyed before a final selection was made. Here are some of the comments Roberts' students made about their instructor:
- She really goes out of her way to help you know the material.
- Connie makes learning fun which helps me understand and remember the information.
- Very helpful, does anything possible to make sure you understand
- Connie makes a difficult course understandable and lets us have fun with learning. She is energetic and enthusiastic about the course and teaching the material. I wish she could teach all my classes.
- She is great! She will help you when you ask and have fun ways to help you learn (even if it is a silly dance that helps you to remember). She actually cares how well I am doing and will take time to work with me to explain it better. She does this with anyone who needs help.
- She is an amazing instructor who cares about all of her students and does anything to help you succeed. The energy and excitement that she gives off makes you want to engage and learn.
- Mrs. Roberts is by far the most understanding and helpful instructor I have ever met. I interrupt her lunch every Wednesday to review what we have learned, and she is more than willing to accommodate me.
Central Ohio Technical College opened in 1971 and is celebrating its 45th anniversary in 2016. COTC is a fully accredited, public college dedicated to providing high-quality, accessible programs of technical education in response to current and emerging employment needs, as well as encouraging the professional development of students, staff, faculty and administrators to assist them in achieving their maximum potential. COTC is the only technical college in Ohio operating four full-service campus locations: Newark, Coshocton, Knox and Pataskala.